John J. Tyson
University Distinguished Professor
Department of Biology
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Blacksburg VA 24061
Birthdate: December 12, 1947
Birthplace: Abington, PA
Marital status: married (Linda), four children (Jeremy, Christopher,
David and Anna)
|University of Chicago
|Thesis: Studies in Chemical Kinetics and
Thesis Advisor: Dr. John C. Light, Professor of Chemistry
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Max-Planck-Institute for Biophysical Chemistry,
Goettingen, West Germany (1973-1974).
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, State University of New York at Buffalo (1974-75).
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Institute for Biochemistry and Experimental Cancer
Research, University of Innsbruck, Austria (1976-77).
- Assistant Professor of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1/78-5/82).
- Associate Professor of Biology, VPI&SU (9/82-5/85).
- Professor of Biology, VPI&SU (9/85-4/96).
- University Distinguished Professor, VPI&SU (4/96-present).
- Faculty Fellow, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute (2005-present).
Honors and Awards
- The Bellman Prize, Mathematical Biosciences (1989).
- Alumni Award for Research Excellence, VPI&SU (1992).
- Doctor honoris causa, Technical University of Budapest (2000).
- Virginia Outstanding Scientist of 2004 (one of three awards for 2004).
- Aisenstadt Chair, Centre de Recherches Mathematiques, U. Montreal (2007).
- Ziwet Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Michigan (2009).
- Associate Member, Royal Academy of Sciences, Belgium (2009).
- Arthur T. Winfree Prize, Society for Mathematical Biology (2011).
Membership and Offices in Professional Organizations
- Member: American Association for the Advancement of Science, Society for Mathematical
Biology, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- President, Society for Mathematical Biology (1993-95)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Theoretical Biology (1989-present).
- Co-Chief Editor, Journal of Theoretical Biology (1995-2004).
- Co-Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Theoretical Biology and Biomathematics (1982).
- Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Oscillations and Dynamic Instabilities in Chemical Systems (1997).
- Chair, Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Computational Cell Biology (2007, 2009)
- Director, Biological Switches and Clocks, Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics,
Santa Barabara CA (2007).
- Instructor, Cold Spring Harbor Course on Computational Cell Biology (2008, 2009).
Please go to the 'Publications' webpage to see the list.